be_ixf;ym_202303 d_27; ct_100
Stage two images from the 2019 Rally Dakar

Dakar Stage 2 - Pisco to San Juan De Marcona

Jan 092019

Stage 2 was a rough day for Casey Currie, he was the 41st vehicle off the line and the 6th SxS, as the cars and SxS opened the stage to day in front of the bikes. This opened up a whole new challenge of the course not being burned in by the bikes. Navigation was a struggle from the start and would only get worse as the stage went on. Many moments searching to find the course and a missed waypoint cost Casey a bunch of time. The missed waypoint would add a +20 second penalty to the stages time.

Casey would finish the stage in 16th overall with a deficit of 43 minutes and 9 seconds. The next 8 stages will be challenging as he has to claw his way back towards the front. There is still a long ways to go and anything can happen. 


The rally continues with stage 3 moving further south from San Juan De Marcona to Arequipa. This will be one of the longest stages at 798 km, which is comparable to running 19 Boston marathons. A short 6km liaison leads into a long 331 km special wrapping up with a lengthy 462 km liaison into Arequipa. 75% of the special will be sand while the other 25% will be a loose gravel surface.  The stage will also include a new dune area for the Dakar rally: Acari.


Stay up to date with Casey on his mission to conquer Dakar!